There’s been a lot going on lately. Lots of announcements, from GitHub to Angular to Vercel, it’s been busy. Of course, this week has .NET Conf with the release of .NET 8 & C# 12. So, you can imagine where some of the drops this week came from.
On a related note, have you noticed this trend of tech companies creating fonts? What a weird trend. That said, I’m totally checking them all out to pick my favorite. 😁
See you next week! Michael
- Introducing Angular v17: In addition to a new, pretty cool looking website (although, what’s the deal with frameworks using black, silver, and a gradient in their branding right now,) Angular is back! Angular was my first introduction to TypeScript and frontend frameworks. I’m looking forward to playing with the new bits.
- OpenAI signals it’ll destroy startups using it’s tech: Got a cool startup idea that you’ll use OpenAI for? You might want to rethink that decision. OpenAI has signaled that it has no problem building your app into their product offering.
- What I learned getting acquired by Google: Having never been at a startup that was acquired, I live vicariously through these types of articles and find them absolutely fascinating.
- Habits of great software engineers: There is so much content that is essentially click-bait with ‘n ways to be a better JS developer’, etc. that it was a pleasant surprise to read a legitimately good article. After 20+ years in engineering, I can vouch for all of these tips.
- Geist font by Vercel: Thanks, Vercel. You may not have gotten all the features you wanted in Next.js in the latest releases, but at least you got a font. 🤣
- Monaspace font by GitHub: Didn’t like Geist? That’s okay. GitHub wants you to love their new font. Actually, Monaspace is more like a font family with several different styles to choose from. Personally, I’m still deciding between Argon & Krypton.
- Inshellisense: IDE autocomplete: What a cool idea. This Microsoft repository brings intellisense functionality to nearly any terminal you want, including those on Linux & Mac. I cannot wait to install this next week and give it a try.
- GitHub is betting big on Copilot: Copilot has really increased my productivity in VS Code, and now GitHub is bringing all that goodness to github.com. Here’s a rundown of GitHub Universe showcasing all the features that are on the way.
- Make iTerm2 look fantastic: I’ve been using a new Mac recently, so I’ve had to go through the whole “setup” process. This was a great video to help me get my iTerm2 closer to what I’m used to.
Build with Me Weekly
Thankful Thursday Highlights
I’m thankful for my Shure SM7B. Every meeting turns into a chance to use my NPR voice.
— Mary Jo
I’m thankful for all the support I can lean on, be it my family, my friends or mental health professionals.
Thankful for no-meeting Thursdays!
Thankful for 3-day weeks. If only it was every week!